Six month contract position, two days (Monday and Thursday) per week from September 2017 to March 2018
Street Health is a not for profit organization in south east downtown Toronto that works to improve the health and wellbeing of people who are homeless and under housed by addressing the social determinants of health through our innovative nursing, mental health, harm reduction and access to identification programs, and through advocacy, research and education.
If you are energetic, mature, self directed, flexible and committed to social change, we need you to complete our team.
- Provide nursing care to clients during clinic hours
- Refer to community agencies and health care practitioners and accompany clients to appointments if necessary
- Advocate for individual clients with health care providers, government officials, etc.
- Initiate and/or participate in systemic advocacy strategies
- Develop and foster relationships with community agencies
- Contribute to the overall program and policy directions of Street Health
- Supervise volunteers and students as required and designated
- Education of students, staff members, community health care institutions and community agencies regarding issues of poverty and community needs
- Provide support and consultation to other staff members
- Assist in the collection and documentation of statistical data
- Other duties as required
- Reports to Clinical Manager
Knowledge and Skills Needed:
- Minimum two years general nursing experience; competent clinical/assessment skills
- Must be able to work independently as well as in a team setting
- Demonstrated knowledge of mental health issues and treatment modalities
- Demonstrated knowledge of the social determinants of health
- Experience advocating for clients, individually and at a systemic level
- An above average ability for oral and written communication is essential
- Recent experience working in a community setting preferred
- Current certificate of competence from the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Availability to work some flexible hours.
- Certification in Advanced Nursing Footcare an asset
- Experience in nursing outreach, harm reduction and mental health an asset
Salary: As per CUPE Collective Agreement
Hours: 15 h per week
Start: September 2017
Deadline for application: August 17, 2017
Please submit your resume and cover letter to Joyce Rankin RN (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Street Health is committed to developing a workforce that is reflective of the communities we serve. We thank all applicants but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.