Why an OPS at Street Health?
- Opioid deaths in Ontario have increased by 52% and emergency room visits due to suspected overdose have increased by 72% in the past year.
- Toronto Public Health has identified our neighbourhood as a ‘hot spot’ for overdose.
- We have been delivering harm reduction services in the community for many years
- The service is located in the fully-accessible backyard coach house within our existing space.
- The service has two booths for supervised injection and a small area for post-consumption monitoring.
- The service operates during our current opening hours and is staffed by experienced harm reduction workers with nursing back up.
- Most of the people using the service will be existing clients.