My Son Kelly. Nov 1 1995 - Jan 3 2015. Just 19. These were Kellys last pair of shoes. They took his final steps with him. He died on our living room sofa on the morning of January 3rd 2015. Kelly took what he thought was an oxycontin. Instead it was a pill made to look like one, it was in fact fentanyl. He only took half of it, but it was enough to take his life.
Kelly was kind, funny, handsome and generous. He had the best hugs. He was a week shy of a beach vacation with his dad, and 2 months shy of the start of training as an electrician. He was just starting out. Kelly laughed about everything. Skateboard, snowboard, football and lacrosse. He thought he was the toughest guy and I would watch in horror from the sidelines as he was run over by some guy twice his size, and he would jump up and everyone would cheer while he pumped his fists to the crowd. Victory or defeat, it didn’t matter, He loved life.
I have 3 other children, but I have learned that the sum of the others will never make up for the absence of the one. I cant even explain how hard it is to live without him. Its indescribable.
Street Health is pleased to be part of Twenty/Twenty Arts Weathered photography exhibition. Our thanks to everyone who shared photo memorials of family members and friends who have died from overdose. Your photos are a powerful statement that more must be done to prevent these overdose deaths that are killing an average of 55 Ontarians each week.
Street Health’s Overdose Prevention Site (OPS) is a part of the effort to save lives.
We provide service to those who are experiencing homelessness and stigma in Toronto’s south east region. The Ontario Government eliminated funding for this site in March, 2019. Since that time numerous individuals, family foundation and community groups have been instrumental in maintaining this service. Your donation as part of the Weathered campaign is vital to maintain this site in the coming year.